Friday, March 26, 2010

Broken Bride, Part IV, over and over again.

Drawings from stac, college holes and pitfalls, space metaphors, psychology, and the importance of hard-learned confidence.


First, the drawings. I used a pen and oil pastels to cartoon Juliana, Nikki, and Ashley. Not flattering, but I like the colors. I'm not developing that to answer why I like the colors. And each one has a longer-than-normal nose.


College results: Yes from Pratt, No from CalArts. I think I'm going to Pratt. I don't like not making decisions, and I don't like chance and 'leaving things to god' and uncertainty. But there is certainty, now, isn't there?
     How can you be sad when you shot your rocket to Pluto and hit Ceres? You're still got past Mars, and a hell of a distance away from Earth. That's a great accomplishment.
     Mere Exposure Effect: the more you see and think about something, the more you warm up to it. I don't want to have to warm up to it. I'm not used to... I don't know... I'm not sure... I'm not comfortable... I just want to...
     And thus, I catch myself in a pitfall. You hope for 150%, get 110%, but in reality, on Earth, there isn't anything better than 100%, and it's an achievement just to get to that.


In the end, I've seriously developed as an artist in the last year. I've gone to figure drawing classes, I've gotten more comfortable with being by myself in the city, I have no problem keeping a sketchbook.


So I guess I'm sort of back where I started. First long-term goal was STAC. That took a few years. Next, CalArts. That was a year, at least. I think I'll apply as graduate student later in life. So, here comes a time when I need to figure things out.


Back to the beginning.


A1-bqx is a blog established in the middle of my junior year of high school, back in February of 2009. Since then, it has been through makeovers and fast times and slow times. But I'll keep it going.

1 comment:

  1. i know that when you're really upset other people's words can have almost no effect (or at least that's true for me), but it's going to be okay. you really are an amazing artist. and undergraduate school really isn't as important as it used to be. honestly, wherever you go will be so lucky to have you. stac has been lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete