Saturday, February 7, 2009

23-33

23. When confronted with superior intelligence/talent, how do you respond?

I wanna learn from them. Although, sometimes superior talent comes with superior arrogance. But I've found that the most successful artists are pretty nice (like Arnin, the contrabassoonist of the NY Philharmonic). But it would be hard to work in the shadow of someone like that.

24. When faced with stupidity/hostility/craziness or indifference with others how do you respond?

I seriously hate indifference. If someone is emotionally hurt, you don't call them a prick and laugh about it. But there's a difference between stupidity and hostility- one is just not knowing, ignorance, and basing conclusions only on what you know, while hostility is meant to be malicious. Sometimes, when someone will ask a heckling question about something just to get me angry, all I have to do is answer them calmly and honestly. Pure honesty without bashfulness is the best way to deal with people trying to get to you. They leave you alone because it's not interesting.

25. When faced with impending success or threat of failure, how do you respond?

The threat of failure is a big one, especially is nothing is learned from the time spent. There's also disappointing other people, and yourself, with failure. Impending success... it feels good to know that something good with come from a process. But you can't be totally sure that everything's going to turn out perfect- there are always ways things can get screwed up. There's a proverb about eggs and chicks here.

26. What at work, do you love the process or the result?

The process, because that's where you make mistakes and really understand the work. The process of work is like the story of it- it makes things interesting to know the story, and it's usually more interesting than the result anyway.

27. At what moments do you feel your reach exceeding your grasps?

Like, having goals too far away? When I have a project with a large goal, I feel like it's somewhat unobtainable until I break it down into short-term goals. There lies the left brain.

28. What is your ideal creative activity?

A mixture of playing and drawing. Actually, right now the my ideal creative activity would be designing more kinds of people for that art project. Just stretching my brain, working off stereotypes and social groups and body language, and trying to figure out how to color it all.

29. What is your greatest fear?

I tried putting this into iambic pentameter, then found out that a soft syllable goes first. I'm scared of wasted time, not being able to speak up for myself, someone finding my journal. At most though, I think I'm scared of disappointment the most. Disappointment from other people, and disappointment to myself, because its a broken promise.

30. What is the likelihood of either of the answers to the two previous questions happening?

Well umm a bit more than I would want for the second question and I hope to work on the project of the first answer during the spring after the musicals.

31. Which of your answers would you like to change?

Will revise after looking at this again.

32. What is your idea of mastery?

Mastery is when the only way you can learn is by teaching yourself and learning new things that come up. Like, finding new things about your art that you never could have learned from a book or teacher.

33. What is your greatest dream?

This used to be 'colonize Mars'. Now, it's more like 'things in my life working out generally to the way I plan them'. I plan to study animation in college, and I plan to work my ass off with that learning. What would be the best thing would working on something and being known for something. Just a small level of fame and a good job to live comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. "When I have a project with a large goal, I feel like it's somewhat unobtainable until I break it down into short-term goals. There lies the left brain." Exactly - divide and conquer.

    "the project of the first answer during the spring after the musicals." Tell me about this project.

    Grade for Week of 2/2/09: 10

    ReplyDelete