
Today, I started drawing a design for Carousel's title (drawing #1). The 'O' has a light, which represents Billy and Louise and everyone alone, and then the letters sort of fan out. Like blocks, instead of being in a line for the camera, they arrangement of letters in the three-dimensional space is curved. From the normal front-on view, the middle block-letters are closer to you than the end letters. In a view from above, the letters are almost in a semi-circle (second drawing).
Because of the block letters (drawings 3, 4), I started drawing a lot of cubes. Then I started geometrically labeling them, then I turned a cube 15 degrees clockwise and counterclockwise about the axis that exists from the 'top' to the 'bottom' (drawing 5).
I know there's some fancy terms for this way of thinking, but abstractions are better practice. It's hard to think of a drawing as a three dimensional figure with its own space, because it's just a set of marks. I don't know which is the 'right' way of thinking, because drawings are only illusions, and I don't want to believe myself into thinking they're real. Ceramics, on the other hand, is a whole nother beast.



No comments:
Post a Comment