Monday, February 1, 2010

La Vie en Rose, on the soundtrack of WALL-E

There was an envelop today from New Paltz. I got in. I should have been more excited.
I've been reading blogs, and I say we have a STAC bake-a-thon. Just that there's so much creativity to be found in baking, and if people are putting it up online, let's get together some weekend and bake.
When does a discipline become not a discipline? This blog was a discipline, but now it's just a part of me. Maybe it's still a discipline.

I took the enneagram test again since before, and got the same result: 1w9,
Type 1 - 11.3
Type 5 - 6.3
Type 9 - 6
Type 2 - 2.3

Wing 1w9 - 14.3
Wing 1w2 - 12.5
Wing 9w1 - 11.7
Wing 9w8 - 8
Wing 5w4 - 8
Wing 2w1 - 8
Wing 5w6 - 6.7
Wing 2w3 - 3.2

I'm a little surprised '4' isn't up there. Perhaps the 'adventurous' parts of Type 5 were mistaken for 'I don't like standing still'. Or that's just a part of a 5.
    I was thinking about being a 1. And something hit me decently hard: there is the perfectionist, critical part of being a 1, and the good/evil part. Both parts lead to a need to improve. But I think criticizing is evil (because I do too much of it). Working against itself there. It isn't about 'accepting your fate', it's about 'what does this point to?'.
    So where does this point to? Core Values and Issues are intertwined in this. A while ago, I was confused by an Issue, something that I was stuck on forever. I've always loved superheros and villains. I love Batman, and old-fashion hero-stories. And that's all part of a fixation on good and evil. Myth hit me so hard, maybe because all the fairy-tale stories are strictly good and evil. All Disney movies.

Core Values:
Art and Science, without a distinct separation
Movement, change and repetition
This used to be Resourcefulness. I don't know what it is now. Something about observing, something about collecting knowledge.

Issues:

Repetition
It's everywhere. The painting we did last year with Cathryn was totally repeated: the same mode of scrape-painting. And the mural was repetition. Figure drawing is, essentially, repetitive. Animation is extremely repetitive. What are bookshelves? What are fishtanks? What is the pattern of the night sky? This may be a core value.
Simple Shapes
Simple Color-coding (secondary colors are for villians)

I'm still thinking of others. I'm still thinking of places to find others. Because it's not just about art, but life if based around these.

1 comment:

  1. The enneagram is a magnifying glass with which to study yourself as you might study a bug - dispassionately, but with curiousity and no intent to harm. It presents facts about you, facts that cannot change, facts that are no different than your height or nostril size.

    ReplyDelete