Wednesday, February 3, 2010

statement and procrastination

As the Artist Statement is being written, I'm thinking of questions I need to find the answers to (in relation to the writing of an artist statement). How do I blend my core values and issues into a piece about who I am and what I do as an artist? Is that what an artist statement is? How is the statement in time: is it about my past art, my present art, both?
I was thinking of time, and of the video game Braid where time is, in a level, represented from left to right. So I drew a forest (tie it in to fairytale somehow) with colors and shadows relating to times of day, in order. It also represents the past, present, and future of a day, where the present is in the middle and midday. I like this drawing, but I only realized after that sunrise and sunset are relatively short periods of the day.
Past, Present, and Future. With weird-looking 2D trees that are at different heights on the page, so they look 3D. And the shadows are interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely little sketch.

    An artist statement is the truth of the moment, just as art should be the truth of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaguely cryptic answer. Let's see what happens.

    ReplyDelete