I'm going to the Ludo concert tomorrow, so i've been listening to their music. There's a rock opera, Broken Bride. It's about a guy who goes back in time to save his love, forward in time, saves the world from a dragon-apocolypse, and is granted his wish- to see his girlfriend one last time. I didn't realize the last part. He goes through this epic battle against zombie armies and dragons and then he's singing softly about being with her, after he spent so long trying to deal with her death.Today we talked about drawing symbols versus drawing the actual shapes. I don't agree- I think everything drawn is a symbol of something. Some symbols just have a lot more observation and detail. You can't draw the real thing, you can only make markings on paper that look like something. That's one of the reasons I don't really do much sculpting: I make illusions, not real things.
This is the pointalist piece. The camera destroyed the colors. It's not done yet.


Hee hee hee!!! You are right, we do draw symbols. In fact, everything we draw is what is termed a 'sign,' by guys like Foucault and his ilk. But, I never said anything about what we were drawing, I was talking about the WAY people were drawing. I kept saying, "people are drawing symbolically." So, my point was more about drawing from a memorized sign - a cliche if you will, or perhaps some sort of archetype, versus drawing from observation of the thing itself. But yes, technically, and truthfully, both are completely symbolic, but one is a symbol drawn from observation and the other a symbol "traced" from a verbal construct. Good post.
ReplyDeleteSo, a sculpture of a person is a real thing and not an illusion, unlike a drawing of a person which isn't a real thing and is an illusion? Is your condition for "real thing" objectness, and if so, is not a drawing an object?
ReplyDeleteI have a crazy essay for you to read. I will bring it on Monday.