I'm getting a dog tomorrow!! His name is George, and he's a newfoundland, and he's not totally trained but that's okay and I can't wait. The house has been empty for too long.
edit: sometime next weekend. he still needs his vaccines and we need to get the right food and bowls.
In the last two days I have been to two very different teashops. This is the article, super-brief and without my notes, and I hope to touch on the same points for each place.
1. Tea and Sympathy, a very British tea shop with some very good food, and seats about 24. British high-brow teas, really too expensive for me. Real food, a real restaurant, just very small. I don't know where they cook it all. There are closets bigger than the kitchen. Don't miss its candy shop next door. Good for a small number of your closest and dearest, and be ready to pay city prices for real food, like pheasant and shepard's pie. If you can afford it, go right ahead. I'm just cheap. Mostly an older crowd.
4.50 for 3 cups in your own teacup, saucer, and small pot. Around the block from three train lines, in the West Village on Greenwich ave.
2. Witches Brew, the eternal living room of comfort. Even the ceilings are fabric. Tea and coffee, but I don't think it had meal-type food. After-meal desserts. It's about the tea, though. That was good, I'll be back for more tea and pie. Self-made menus are really not easy to read, but they look cool. Seasonal decor, soft lighting, soft everything. Normally for a younger crowd, but not for little kids.
2.75 for a small pot with your own tea, loose-leaf, about 2 or 3 small cups. West Hempstead. Not cheap, but it's a fair price for food that wasn't made in a microwave and some comfortable couch-space.
and from a few weeks ago:
3. MoJoe's Cafe, eclectic new york cafe right by Mineola train station, used to fast-pace. Looseleaf teas in hand-wrapped bags. Not just cupcakes, the cafe also has a full grill. The best thing, though, has to be the decor. It's an eclectic combinations of every decade since the 50s, including an original Donkey Kong arcade game. The first game Mario was in. Ever. And I don't think I mentioned the hand-drawn signs for everything. Has people from everywhere, especially with the train station and Winthrop hospital across the street. Don't get stuck on line when the shift ends at 4.
1.50 for a small cup of tea. Cheap in comparison, but it doesn't come with a pot, teacup, and saucer.
No comments:
Post a Comment