Thursday, April 8, 2010

Artist Statement, v. 2.0

I don't know if this works as an artist statement or not. It looks a bit too long for me.


Artist Statement

Core Values
Art and Science
Movement, Change and Sameness
Comfort

Issues
Definition through Opposition
Opposites
Simplicity
Order
Communication
Something relating to children, childhood

I draw because it is the language I know best. That is, I feel I have more of a vocabulary with artwork, and my writing, speech, music-making, and nonverbal communications are secondary to seeing. As I learn techniques for drawing, how to see shape, form, and color, my vocabulary grows and I have more 'words' with which to express myself.

I like trying to convey a sense of movement in my artwork. I like to use repetition of shape or line quality to add a sense of stability, but movement, to my pieces. And, everything is moving all the time all around me. When there is repetition, there is the movement between the repeated parts of the piece. There is also stagnation, from the sameness of the repeated parts. I like exploring this duality in artwork.

I prefer using children's supplies for fine artwork. I've used crayons and markers for artwork that is usually made from charcoal, pastels, or oil paints (materials usually reserved for the refined, mature artist). Earlier this year I finished a pointillist piece with crayons, and I used Magic Markers for figure drawing. This comes from my love for simplicity and comfort, which manifests itself, especially, when I am faced with complex or uncomfortable situations in my artwork.

In the future, I want to work in different periods of art, like Modernism and Impressionism, to find out where I am. I also want to experiment with some three dimensional figures, like plaster models. I feel like that will help me understand space better in my two dimensional work.

No comments:

Post a Comment